The lung is one the most important organs in the human body. The function of lungs is to extract oxygen from atmosphere, transfer it into the bloodstream, and release carbon dioxide from the blood stream to atmosphere. This gas exchange happens at lung alveoli.
Lungs are closed organs. Normally, foreign substances are filtered through the respiratory defense mechanisms and are not entered into the lungs. Under certain circumstances, such as smoking, tars and chemicals enter into and deposit in the lungs. If not removed, these substances could cause lung diseases, such as lung cancer.
To prevent lung diseases, it is essential to detox the lungs. In this article, I discuss the lung detox remedies for a better lung health.
Lung Toxins and Lung Diseases
Smoking is a destructive and dangerous habit for entire human body, especially for lungs. Here are some facts about smoking on human health:
- Smoking results in more than 4,700 chemicals and 50 known carcinogens.
- Tar from smoking paralyzes and destroys small hairs, or cilia, in airways that are essential in cleaning lungs.
- The chemicals in cigarettes and tar enter blood circulation system causing the walls of arteries to become sticky. This collects fats and cholesterol which blocks blood supply and can lead to strokes and heart attacks.
- Tar and mucus accumulate in respiratory airways leading to coughing, infection and bronchitis.
- Alveoli are destroyed by a combination of tar, heat and smoke which leads to the extremely debilitating condition emphysema.
- Tar seeps into the tissue in the lungs making it less flexible.
- Smoking increases the level of carbon monoxide and reduces level of oxygen in the blood.
Besides smoking, there are numerous other toxic air pollutants, affecting lung health:
- Emissions from coal-fired power plants, industries and refineries.
- Emissions from cars, trucks and buses.
- Indoor hazardous air pollutants from building materials like asbestos and chemicals like solvents.
- Biological agents, such as bacteria, viruses, and fungi.
Everyone is Affected by Lung Toxins
One of the most commonly asked question for non-smoker lung cancer patients is “I never smoked, why do I get lung cancer?” People has the mis-conception that only tobacco smokers get lung cancers. In fact, there are about 15% lung cancer patients who have never smoked.
As described above, toxins causing lung cancer are not only coming from tobacco smoking, but also from other air pollutants. Furthermore, even though you are not smokers, you could still suffer from the secondhand smoking, smoking exposure that occurs from inhaling smoke from someone else, and thirdhand smoking, smoking residual exposure via objects, such as cloth, floor, furniture, wall, and vehicle etc, that have encountered cigarette smoke.
Apparently, to some extent, everyone living on this planet has contacted lung toxins through breathing.
How to Detox Lungs
Everyone is affected by lung toxins and every one should have his own lung detox remedies based on his personal circumstances. The general principle for lung detox remedies is to reduce toxin intaking into the lungs and to increase toxin purging out of lungs.
Identify and avoid lung toxins
Take some time and write down the potential lung toxin sources surrounding you. Pay attention to household items, such as detergents, shampoos, food packaging, cosmetics and toys. Avoid smoking, secondhand and thirdhand smoking.
2. Get fresh air
Find forest park nearby, walk in the park, and take some deep breath. Do this daily and if not possible, carry out this at least once a week. Stay in ventilated areas. Keep your home clean.
Drinking water helps to thin the mucus lining the airways and lungs. Hydration assists in dissolving tar and toxins deposited in the lungs and accelerates the lung detoxification process.
4. Breathing exercises
Specific exercises designed to strengthen lungs and dislodge tar and toxins from lungs. Breathing exercises are one of the good ways for detoxing your lungs. They are not the usual deep breathing. There are many exercises for detoxifying the lungs. Search for keyword: breathing exercise for detoxing lungs and you will find the one fitting you.
5. Reduce the stress
We live in a modern society and everyone has stress in his life. Managing stress and anxiety effectively makes positive effects on daily life and develops an attitude of kindness towards yourself and awareness of your actions, which creates positive energy on detox lung and lung health.
There are many options to reduce stress, such as deep breath, meditation and yoga. You certainly find something that works for you.
A lot of foods are rich in antioxidants, minerals and vitamins etc. and are great for lung detoxification and lung health. Here are some examples:
- Chili, Garlic, Ginger, and Turmeric, the spice eliminates air pollutants from the air passages before they irritate the lungs, possess anti-inflammatory properties and assists in breaking down excess mucus in the lungs.
- Fruits, such as apple, berry, grapefruit, and pomegranates.
- Honey, contains minerals that promote tissue repair.
- Onions, helps to break down mucus and expel toxins from the body.
- Vegetables, such as broccoli, carrots, cauliflowers, pumpkins, and tomatoes
7. Essential oils
Some essential oils have functions of cleansing the lungs of toxins and excess mucus. Inhalation of the essential oils results in the relaxation of lungs.
Lung detox essential oils include: castor, eucalyptus, peppermint, rosemary and thyme.
Herbs have been used for hundreds or thousands of years as natural lung detox remedies, since they contain anti-inflammatory and antioxidant properties. They can be used as individual tinctures and extracts. Here are some useful lung detox herbs:
- Green teas
- Orange peel
- Osha root
- Plantain leaf
Vitamin C and Vitamin D can boost lung health.
Please note that these lung detox remedies cannot replace medical care if you’re experiencing lung-related issues. It’s advisable to be under the care of a physician. These holistic measures may serve as an adjunct to treatment.
Everyone is affected by lung toxins and everyone needs to have lung detox remedies to prevent lung diseases. Lung detox remedies include strategies to reduce toxin intaking into the lungs and to increase toxin purging out of lungs. Practicing the lung detox will ensure you have a perfect lung health.
I would love to hear from you. If you have comments or question, please leave them below and I will get back to you.